As some of you know, I have decided to try to improve my health. The first step is to lose some weight and increase my activity level. I am not doing a great job on the increased activity level, but I am making progress on my weight.
I have been roughly following my old weight watchers plan. For the most part I have giving up all soda and switched to mostly water. I have also severely cut way back on all simple carbs. That means very little bread, pasta or rice. As those that know me will attest, that is the hardest part.I have always loved breakfast, but I have found that I am very limited on what I can eat for breakfast that will take me till lunch. For a while it was an omelet every day. The only problem is it takes me about 20 minutes to get one made and cleaned up after. Some mornings I just don’t have that much time. I found a recipe for egg casserole that I have adapted to my tastes and it reheats nicely in the microwave each morning. I make it in the evening and eat it for the week. It works well for me and I can modify the ingredients for variety.
6 servings – 4 pts/Serving
3/4 cup Eggs (2 eggs + 3 whites)
1 1/2 cups skim milk
3/4 cup bisquick heart smart baking mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 medium onion, chopped
16-20 ounces Spinach or broccoli
3 slices Turkey Bacon (optional)
4 ounces part-skim chedder cheese
1. Thaw, rinse and drain broccoli.
2. Put 1/2 of spinach in 11×7 glass pan sprayed with Pam.
3. Put all of cheese on top of that.
4. Put remaining spinach on top of that.
5. Wisk eggs, milk, bisquick, onion, salt and pepper
6. Pour mixture over spinach in pan.
7. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
8. Cut into 6 pieces when cool.