Due to a mis-communication I created a last minute Christmas quilt this year. December 13th we determined that we wanted to make a quilt for my sil. I thought we had ruled out the quilt for this year in favor of another gift, but it turns out I was mistaken and this was the year of the quilt. I am happy to make them. Especially when they are well received.
I have a complex of not wanting to be Aunt Clara giving the pink bunny pajamas (A Christmas Story). I love to make things and I love to give them away, but I know that my tastes don’t always match others, so I am a cautious home made gift giver.
I spent Sunday and Monday dyeing and rinsing flannel for the quilt. I knew I wanted tans and earthy greens. I don’t do a lot of tans so I tried creating a couple of gradations. They ended up a little closer in color than I would have liked, but do to the short time frame, I was pretty pleased with them and called them good.
Monday night Bill helped me to cut the fabric into strips and then use the AccuQuilt die cut machine to cut the squares.
Since it was Bill’s sister, it was his pleasure to pick the pattern for the quilt. He wanted to create blobs of color that kind of blended into the next blob. I don’t know if we were completely successful, but we had fun and it did break me out of my symmetrical and regimented patterning. We finished laying out the squares around 11pm on Monday.
Tuesday morning I labeled the squares so that I could keep them where they were planned and set them up for chain piecing. I spent the day piecing the quilt and was finished in time for bed.
Wednesday I spent the day washing and drying the quilt to get that nice snuggley texture and remove the extra lint before the sending it out. I also created my label pocket and label.
It was shipped on Thursday. Yeah! I love how fun these quilts are to make and the ease that the AccuQuilt adds in making them. With any luck it will coordinate with the home decor.
The photo is a little fuzzy. It was a quick overhead shot while standing on a bar stool, but it had to get in the mail.